Monday, April 25, 2011

This glorious Spring





The apple trees are settling in well and are in blossom. Well, all except one - the Egremont Russet - which has plenty of leaves but no blossom. I have read that young trees sometimes take a while to produce blossom. I also was told that you must knock off the blossom , or at least knock off the apples on young trees to allow them to put their energy into growth rather than production at this early stage.

I think I might take a visit to West Dean Gardens and see what they do there. www.westdean.org.uk

In the meantime they are growing well and seem very happy - and the deer have left them alone. I did, however, spot a deer trying to nibble on the lovely new rose shoots. I knocked on the window and it scampered off. There is plenty to feast on elsewhere in the garden so I hope it won't try again. ..... there isn't an emoticon for 'fingers crossed' is there?

PS Those tall trees seen behind the apple trees are in the site where the pond is to be created and as they are in poor health are going to be coming down in a week's time.

No comments: