Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Elderflower Cordial

Sambucus something aka elder

Last May I made my first ever batch of elderflower cordial - easy peasy and totally delicious, but I only made 2 litres, which was drunk very quickly.



Whilst I was delighted when our daughter got engaged in June last year, I was disappointed that the elderflowers were over as I thought little bottles of homemade cordial on the wedding breakfast table would have been a wonderful touch.  Anyway, the day was gorgeous without it - but I have been determined to make enough cordial this year to last longer than a month!


The first batch soaking up the sun
Cheers!
The problem was getting enough bottles.  I love those olive oil bottles with the flip cap - but had only managed to collect 4 of them.  Someone suggested old screw top white wine bottles - perfect!  Had to do some extra work emptying them, of course, but it was worth it in the end.

I have proudly given away a few litres of the stuff but now I've discovered a recipe for elderflower vodka!  I went to pick some flowers (they're much later this year due to the rain) but they smell a bit 'over' - so that will have to wait 'til next year.  Anyway, I've found a recipe for elderberry & wild cherry syrup that I want to try so I'd better leave flowers for that (and the birds, of course).


PS I've planted a Sambucus nigra - which is the dark leaved/pink flowered version of the elder, can you make cordial from that and will it be pink?  I really hope so, but will have to wait until next May to see.


Elderflower cordial


Veg

in season

Elderflower cordial
Homemade elderflower cordial is so much better than anything you can buy. Serve with sparkling water for a refreshing drink or sparkling wine for a delicious cocktail.

Ingredients

Preparation method

  1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
  2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
  3. Add the citric acid, the orange and lemon slices, and then the flowers.
  4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Strain through some muslin and transfer to sterilised bottles.


No comments: