Sunday, April 3, 2011

Childhood Delights


When I was a little girl there was a meadow behind the woods across the road from our house. It was full of cowslips and I remember spending what seemed like endless sunny days there with a friend when we would pluck the flowers and suck out a delicate honey flavour from them. I am probably personally responsible for the decline in the numbers of cowslips in the Bedfordshire area!

Those delicate little yellow bells always held a gentle magic for me and now, here in sunny Hampshire, I have my own little oasis and I have discovered that there are cowslips are emerging. No-one is allowed to touch them. It feels like seeing old friends after a long absence. I look forward to seeing how many of them will surface from the mossy bank.

As a child I was convinced I saw the flower fairies dance beneath the gentle ringing bells of the flowers - perhaps if I am very quiet ....

No comments: