Sunday, April 3, 2011

Is this the start of the heartbreak?



This used to be an old orchard, but hasn't been so for a long time. There are many self-seeded Ash trees, some of which are not in good shape. We took down 14 before Christmas and now about 8 more are about to be taken down because they are either dead, diseased or dangerous. We have made a promise to ourselves to replace each tree with two more, eventually creating not only an enchanted woodland but also restoring fruit trees to the area.

Just days before the end of bare root planting - March 31st according to my gardening friends - we (well, husband and son) dug four holes in the ground and our first fruit trees were planted.
We chose four (one for each child): Bramley, Red Windsor, Discovery and Egremont Russet. They have settled in well and already leaves are starting to sprout.

Ofcourse, the biggest problem will be the deer - I have been to see the local blacksmith and he tells me he can make me four deerguards by next week.

Our friend is involved with a project that develops microbial technology www.reaplenish.co.uk and I added their microbe blend into the soil as we planted, plus have been adding some every few days to encourage their settling in. I was delighted to see on the BBC's Gardeners' World that the RHS are using similar stuff, calling it compost tea, at Wisley! I am certainly hoping that our trees feel the benefits. I have also added some to the compost - and on the roses and cyclamen I planted. Basically, if I have looked at it, its been sprayed with microbes. (Except for the wild flowers, they seem to be doing well without our help for now.)


No comments: