Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Learning the Art of Least Resistance - gardening for life

Behind the wall used to look like this.....


.....well actually it did look much worse, but this photo was taken AFTER we had cleared out the shrubs, brambles and many, many ash trees that had taken root.

When we first arrived here I was filled with mad enthusiasm  and we began clearing it out.  Then suddenly I had a crisis of confidence.  Why am I doing this?  What am I doing it for?  How much would it cost to realise my vision?  Is it worth it?

Fast forward three years of neglect and this area looked worse than ever.


But now, with the Charles the God-Send (aka GSC) helping out in the garden I have a growing confidence not only in my ultimate dream but also being able to tackle the challenges and break them down in to manageable chunks.

If I'm honest, I want to use as little effort as possible.  I'm in reasonable nick and want to keep it that way.  This garden is an amazing site and I'd like to make it even more beautiful - without creating a monster that needs constant feeding or exhausting myself in the process!

Least Effort, Maximum Result 
Nature knows how to grow things, my job is to help create the best environment for that to take place. So the first thing we are tackling is the soil condition, trying to improve the soil (mostly clay) in the flower beds around the house and also with an eye on building a veg garden next year.

Whilst I have a compost bin and a wormery, both were in poor condition but GSC has got things humming again.  The compost is now cooking away nicely and the wormery is getting a make-over so we are well on our way to creating powerhouse organic matter for the soil to grow healthy plants with very little effort or expense.

And what is behind the wall?  Over 40 years of organic matter, that's what.  Nature has been busy working quietly away creating a huge amount of leaf mould, rotten wood, fat worms and microbes that are PERFECT for helping the soil.  The only problem is there are also nettles, brambles, rubble and saplings in amongst it.

So last weekend I wandered behind the wall and, armed with a wheelbarrow and an old fashion garden rake, slowly began clearing the area.  I decided  harvesting the 'soil' would be my winter project but had no desire for digging, lifting and general exhaustion, so even if the work was slow - I would just quietly get on with it.

Every time I encountered a difficult task - like pulling up brambles or the web of nettle roots that are like a tight mesh - I would just shift my focus or attack it from a different angle.

I couldn't believe it - after a day this is what I achieved!  I even had the strength to carry a couple of logs to the old fireplace - so as to have somewhere to stop and drink my tea.


I realised that my approach, whilst slow was very sure and that I'd taken the path of least resistance: anywhere I'd encountered strain, anything that had felt too heavy or was too tiring, I'd just either found another approach or went and did a different area until I was ready to tackle it again.

I worked hard for two days and had no aches, no pains - but a great sense of satisfaction....and a ton of wonderful soil for the garden.

Now for section two.








No comments: